About the Institute
Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Rural Energy and Development (MGIRED) located in Bengaluru was established in the year 2000 with assistance of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India and the Rural Development & Panchayat Raj Dept., Government of Karnataka. The main objective was to have a unique Institution to carry out Capacity Building and Awareness Programmes in the areas of Rural Energy and Sustainable Rural Development which will cater to the needs of Karnataka and neighboring southern states namely Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Union Territory Pondicherry.
To be a lead knowledge & Resource Center of Excellence in Renewable Energy, Energy Conservation, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Protection, Forestry, Rural Development and allied subjects.
An institute built on principles of intellectual excellence, we are committed to deliver high-quality competitive Education, Research, Demonstrations, Evaluation, Policy advisory. Institute strives to establish unique identity for the development of human and knowledge reserve by developing and implementing state-of-the art training programmes founded on high academic standards, public engagement and productive partnerships with leading institutions in the world.
The MGIRED was established with following objectives:
- Develop and implement state-of-the art programmes in partnership with state and national stakeholders through best practices for Renewable Energy, Energy Conservation, Environment and related subjects.
- Reform training and extension systems which will enhance human resource quality. Preparing individuals who will have passion for professional excellence and proactively engaged in betterment of society.
- Create an environment for making teaching more learner centric rather than academic.
- Improve knowledge management system to act as an efficient Technology Backup Unit for RDPR for providing information on Renewable Energy, Environment, Sustainable Development, Natural Resources Conservation and Allied Sectors.
- Promote a centre of learning that will fully support the rapid development of the Rural Energy, Energy Conservation, Natural Resource Conservation, Sustainable Development, Environment sectors.
- To ultimately upgrade to a degree awarding institution providing alternative/vocational degree programmes for persons willing to enhance career opportunities.
- Establish a database on Rural Energy demand and supply for different micro-regions of the state and sub-regions.
- Establish demonstration centers for various technologies appropriate for rural areas.
- Carry out Research and Development on Renewable Energy Applications and Energy Conservation Opportunities in Rural Environment, Forestry, Rural Entrepreneurship, Waste Recycling, etc.
- Perform functions, incidental or ancillary in line to the above subjects.
- Carryout evaluation of RDPR programmes and give feedback to help improve the effectiveness of the programmes.
The above objectives of the institution are achieved through following departments: